Saturday 10 January 2015

The Loft , Amsterdam


Over the last few years I have noticed my tastes in interiors change. I still love the homely, cosy eclectic, bohemian spaces I always have but these days I also find myself lusting over larger more spacious, dare I say it , minimal spaces (I hate that term). I have even found myself looking at Loft apartments adoringly.

Living here in the UK where our houses are Tiny and expensive compared to the rest of the western world I cant help but look at what is available abroad and feel just a little hard done by. Don't get me wrong being a home owner is a privilege, but sometimes the selfish bit of me just wants..... space!

This Loft in Amsterdam, I think is actually a show room, but it is so beautiful and dreamy that I had to show you. What could feel like a really cold place, due to the high ceilings, has been made to feel much cosier by great use of textiles and layering.....

The clever use of a four poster bed for instance, gives the illusion of a private intimate bed space. The beautiful Beni Ourain rug also softens the look of the (extremely gorgeous) parquet flooring and the plant by the window also injects a bit of colour and life into the otherwise whiter than white room. I am also a bit obsessed with that snug sheepskin drench bench.... perfect place for people watching...

Again in the dining area the hanging shelf divides the space and would give a cosier feel when eating dinner, and is great for candles and hanging plants. I also really like the sitting area although I have noticed there are no bookshelves which I would be screwed without... maybe modern day minimalists read everything on their kindles!

The windows are enviable, the view of Amsterdam (one of my favorite Cities) is awesome, the floor is beautiful but there is one thing I would definitely change, if it was mine, and that would be to re-open up that fire. In the winter there is nothing more beautiful and cosy than a proper open fire!! .. ..... oh and mess. I cant live without a bit of mess :)

What do you guys recon? Too open or perfect?

The original article and full set of photos are available here

If you like The Loft, you will also love Franklin Place

10 comments:

Ipmilat said...

My fantasy would be to be awake in that bed at five of a cold, dark winter morning with rain lashing the windows, knowing I need not get up until I damn well want to.

Rebecca said...

Just a little too open and too perfect for me. I need me a little more wood, a few more rugs, and books, and texture...comfy corners and a piece or two of tattered leather furniture.

acyhoz said...

freaking beautiful. Everything, how they selected the different kinds of texture and material. I love it

A C Y H O Z - blog

X

Kath said...

I would definitely change, if it was mine, and that would be to re-open up that fire.

I was just thinking exactly that!

freefaller said...

Nooo please dont change! I love your bohemian taste :) but I have to admit this is beautiful too.

Boho Mixology said...

I also have found myself shifting towards a much "lighter" version of my usual style ( I also dislike the word minimal). This is a gorgeous space!

Zoe x

Notes From ABroad said...

I would SO live there ! :)
I would pack up the kitten and move right now if I could. My daughter would too, she loves Amsterdam so much.

LeeAnn at Mrs Black's said...

I agree with you, more space and light seems to become precious as we age and accumulate objects. We live in a teeny characterful cottage, but I adore large light filled rooms. Amsterdam has such wondrous architecture and this is gorgeous!

Wendy Marie said...

Yes!! I've always had "loft lust". <3

YOURFLIRTYLOOK | by Karlijn said...

Wow, this is beautiful!